Blog Archive

Friday, January 21, 2022

World Cruise Day 29/152 - Sea Day - Bridge over untroubled waters

Cruise day: 29/152
Ports days: 10
Sea days: 19
Countries: 4
Continents: 1
Ports: 7


As a blogger, you have to listen to your audience.  Normally that's not a problem for me as I have a very small audience and they're not too vocal.  But for some reason, the recent entries in this blog have struck a nerve with folks and suddenly, I have readers, and the readers have spoken.  The most common complaint is that the blog is hard to read with the layout I have chosen, especially the light characters on a dark background.  I updated the blog's theme today to something that I hope is more easily readable.  Let me know if you like the change.  No promises about the writing getting any better...

We are here on another sea day.  Tomorrow will hit day #30 with fully 66.67% of those days spent at sea.

If you are an avid reader of this blog, you will recall that back on Day 12 (January 4, 2022), we sailed through the Gulf of Tehuantepec and were tossed about.  Guess where we are now?  Actually, we are coming out of the south end of the Gulf of Tehuantepec having sailed through it last night.  The difference this time?  Last time, Captain Lars took us well off the coast into the middle of the tossing and turning en route to LA.  Last night, Captain Olav kept us in tight to shore and we sailed through with very little jostling.  I think everyone that had gone through from south to north was much happier with the north to south routing. Today has been all smooth sailing.

While waiting for bridge lessons, we kept a lookout on our balcony.  We spotted another of those iridescent blue fish that I saw yesterday as well as a few turtles and a pair of small rays.  I couldn't get the camera on them before they disappeared.

We attended another beginner's bridge lesson this morning and then stayed for an intermediate lesson.  Wow.  I'm not really sure how anyone can remember every little bidding nuance and technique.  I can see why people study bridge for years.

There was another plume of smoke from our crash and burn at trivia today.  We were really adept at talking ourselves out of correct answers and that cost us three points.  Even with those, we were out of the competition.  The number of elements in the periodic table?  Not 108.  118.  What flower is the spice saffron harvested from?  Crocus. Canada's national animal?  Not the moose as the majority of the team said.  Beaver, as one lone outvoted voice said.

Arlona returned to art class and then tried her hand at Mah-Jongg.

 

Garry went nature hunting.  

Brown and Nazca boobies were again following us.


Turtles were plentiful today.

Then, I heard some squeaking and spotted a whole bunch of really fast-moving smaller birds.  Using Google Lens, I think I have identified them as shearwaters. It appears that there are a ton of different shearwaters with only minor visual differences, so I won't venture a guess as to which one these are.  And, I fully expect a birder that knows way more than I do to correct me and provide accurate identification.









A friendly dolphin popped up and that really got the birds going.


They grouped together and headed for the dolphin.



If you look closely in the middle left of the next two photos, you can see the dolphin splashing under the birds.



After that, they returned to flitting about, moving forward and backward along both sides of the ship.





Here, three are passing over a disinterested turtle.





As we sat on our deck late in the afternoon, our neighbors hollered, "dolphins!" I grabbed my camera and started snapping.  There were tons of dolphins, cresting and jumping.  It was truly amazing to watch.  We thought there might also be fish like marlins with them, but the photos all look like dolphins.








We enjoyed dinner in The Restaurant tonight with another couple we met on the ship.  Dinner was great. I had the grilled mahi-mahi.


Arlona said the spare ribs were tasty.


In the World Cafe tonight, they featured a Tahiti & Polynesian evening.  After dinner, we popped up just to take a look.





It all looked wonderful.  We met some friends who had eaten there and then confirmed it was wonderful.  In addition, the regular service staff was replaced tonight...by the bridge officers including the Captain.  Yes, the Captain himself and all his senior bridge officers were behind the buffet serving guests their Polynesian meals.  Amazing.


Photo courtesy of Jim Medalie.

We have one more sea day tomorrow before our return to Puntarenas, Costa Rica.


19 comments:

  1. Dolphins! So awesome! On other cruises we hardly ever ate at the "buffet". On Viking Ocean we were there more than anywhere else (except Manfredi's as often as we could). As to the color of your blog, I would never have thought of complaining about it (saw it on CC), but I do admit it's easier this way. Keep enjoying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viking's buffet isn't your typical cruise buffet - it is so much better. We eat there almost every night.

      On the blog colors, I didn't take is so much as a complaint than as a suggestion to improve the reader's experience. Plus, Arlona agreed that it was a difficult color combo, so you know I was going to change it.
      :-)

      Delete
  2. Not Chile, Puntarenens, Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I just have typoed it and it autocorrected it! Doh! I'll fix it. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I like the change as it is easier to read, I make sure to look for your blog before I go to bed each night!
    Aunt Arlona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the change and I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog is now readable again! Thank you very much for changing the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I hadn't noticed a difference, but I'm positive that's simply because I'm immersed in reading your every word and looking at all of your amazing photos! Yet another amazing entry. Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible photos! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for writing this blog! I would have loved to see those dolphins. Birds do watch for dolphins because food is usually nearby…just saw that on a PBS program this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bird photos are better then those in some of my field guides. Always enjoy your blog. The black was attractive but change is easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much easier to read. Thank you! GREAT photos as always!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easier to read. No matter what color the background. We enjoy your up dates. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blog change in color is much easier on the eyes. The blog content is as fantastic as ever! The photos are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm thinking the Owls are back in your favorite tree! I've seen quite a few folks with cameras and tri pods there when I run the dog over to the Mulberry dog park. Also looks like the Eagles may have little one's again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoy your blog and cant tell about the layout change yet as I just had may eyes examined. The photos are spectacular and of course the food is really special. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gary, this is the first time I've commented but have been reading your blog every day, and am very much enjoying it. The background didn't bother me, but the new version is probably easier on the eye.
    Anyway back to the subject of your cruise...I am booked on the Viking 2023/24 world cruise, so your blog is of particular interest to me. Thanks for providing such detailed info of the ship, activities on board and of course the food, not to mention the fantastic photos! I'm following your journey with great interest to get a taste of what's in store on this epic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoying your blog and look forward to it each day, keep having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked the other way. The white was jarring but, your blog, your choice!

    ReplyDelete

20240426 Sapphire Princess South Pacific Cruise Day 23 - Sea day - smoother seas and fewer sick folks

Sapphire Princess South Pacific Cruise Day 23 - Sea Day - a slow, calm day Today was a slow day with the standard sea day activities. We sle...